|HISTORY OF SOUTH PELION - GREECE
The first signs of life in this area were found near the cave of
Sipiada and are dated back to at least 1150 BC. It was here that
all the signs and findings indicate that it was the ancient city
A large number of Persian Xerxess ships were destroyed
here as the result of a huge storm in 480 bC, when they were sailing
to southern Greece ( Herodotus book Z & H ).
According the famous historian, on the site today where the village
of Platanias is located, was the ancient city Afetes, a safe haven
that was used by the Persians during their expedition to Greece,
for the boats that remained intact after the storm.
Those ships, after the battle with the Greek navy, were heading
to the Artemision cave of North Evia, recording the historical
battle ship of Artemisio.
The ancient city Afetes was also the port that the Argonauts
made a final stop for repairing and water supplies, before they
sale towards the far city of Kolhis. The city of Afetes diminished
and finally disappeared in the later centuries without living
any trace or information on why and how the city ceased existing.
During time, the village of Promiri began to florish, where in
the beginning of the 18th century there were 1500 habitants and
had 400 houses. Since then, as in the neighboring village of Lafkos,
a very strong economy structure based in agriculture and live
stocks was developed.
From the 18th century and after, throughout all of the Pelion
villages, developement led to strong manufactural activities such
as production of raw silk and silk products, and weaved materials,
all of those were transported by the ships of Zagora village to
both local and foreign markets.
At the same time with the development of the economy, the culture
and religious life of Pelion began to blossom, which resulted
in the building of many monasteries and churches, all of
which were beautifully decorated. Many of these churches and monasteries
still operate today.
Culture and literature flourished, cultivating in the spirit
of freedom and independence, where all the people of South Pelion,
contributed to the Greek revolution against the Ottoman occupation
in the 1821.
The Turkish authorities retaliated in a fierce way by burning
the houses in Promiri and killing more than 1000 inhabitants of
the village on the 8th of May 1823. Nevertheless, the people of
South Pelion contributed with same passion and strength, which
led to the revolutions of Pelion in 1854 and 1878 against the
The first revolution on the 25th of March 1854, was started in
Promiri with leader Georgios Filaretos. The revolution corps of
G. Filaretos, were disembarked in Platanias, after coming from
They headed up to Promiri, raised the flag of the revolution,
distributed a proclamation of the revolution and declared the
beginning of the revolution, which was then followed by the revolting
of all the villages of Pelion.
The second revolution, started on the 1st of May of 1878, also
from Promiri, by the leader Leonidas Voulgaris, who, with his
revolutionary corps, disembarked in Katigiorgis, and revolted
all the Pelion villages. Those two revolutions, put pressure on
the allies, who then recognized the rights of the Thessaly and
obliged the Turkish to withdraw. This lead to the desired Freedom
of Thessaly in 1881, after of 480 years of slavery and occupation.
Promiri is the birth place and home land of great men, such as
Georgios.N. Filaretos, who was written into history as the Father
of Democracy, Giorgos Zorbas - the leader of soldiers in
the 1821 revolution , Nikos Zorbas - the leader in the revolution
that started in Goudi in Athens in 1909, and many great heroes.